Saturday, February 8, 2014

Editing::Homework While Waiting

What have I been doing while waiting for my authors to get their manuscripts to me? Reading. Quite a lot.

When Christin and I first agreed to work together, I decided it would be worthwhile for me to read some of the novels in the same sub-genre she is writing for – “new adult paranormal.” Christin gave me some recommendations, and I found other titles through Good Reads, and I ended up reading quite a lot of books about “new adults.” Some were better than others, as in any genre, but all that reading gave me a pretty good sense of what style and quality of writing is expected by the readership, and I think Christin and I working together will be able to produce a good piece in her chosen genre.

I’ve done the same in anticipation of editing Pete’s manuscript, reading a number of books in what I would classify as “faith-based paranormal.”

It’s been interesting reading novels for “research” purposes, books that I normally would never think to pick up. I have found myself reading “with two minds” – one collecting information about style and content and development and flow, the other trying to get into a space of enjoyment and being sucked into the story. Overall, I’ve enjoyed the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment