It's been over a week since BooBoo's emergency hospitalization. Now tell me, does this look like a cat who's on the brink of death? I think not. He's getting around pretty much normally, eating and drinking normally, and (we presume) doing his business regularly (it's hard to tell with indoor/outdoor cats). There hasn't even been a personality change, like can sometimes happen when an animal has a traumatic event. He's still our boy.
Tuesday, April 4, 2017
File this one under "things that don't end up like you expected. Last night we expected that our visit to the vet this morning would be to say goodbye to BooBoo. As it turns out, he made a turn-around overnight. He was walking around and gobbled down all of his breakfast. The vet put him on blood thinners to address the clotting issue, and we took him home.
There's a very good chance that, even with treatment, he'll have another blood clot within a year or so. He's got an underlying heart condition that caused the clot, so he's not as healthy as he seems. Sending him to a feline cardiologist (I din't even know there was such a thing) for diagnosis and treatment is beyond our budget, so we're going to have to work with what we've got. Considering most cats don't recover from this particular condition, I think BooBoo's chances are better than average. We'll take him for a follow-up on Friday, and in the mean time spoil the snot out of him.
|BooBoo at the Vet, ready to go home!|
|Resting at home under my desk.|
Posted by Five Bears A-Blogging at 4:41 PM
Monday, April 3, 2017
BooBoo dragged himself into the house from outside this evening, his back legs not working, and clearly in pain. David and Michael rushed him to the emergency vet where he was diagnosed with Saddle Thrombosis. It's related to heart disease, but is virtually impossible to diagnose before an attack. He's got a blood clot stuck in his femoral artery that's cutting off bloodflow to his legs. The prognosis for this medical condition is not good. Cats most often do not regain use of the damaged leg(s), and it is extremely painful. We're leaving him with the vet overnight, and will make a decision in the morning. Considering the quality of life he's likely to have if he survives, we're leaning toward letting him go.
|Our boy, BooBoo.|
|BooBoo's allergic to mosquito bites...ears torn up.|
|Snuggling with his mama.|
|Helping Mom with her editing.|