Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Editing::Learning About Marketing

So, now that Anna's manuscript is back in her hands for rewrites, what am I doing with all my "free" time? I'm still producing articles for Donna's blog and the garage sale blog fairly regularly.

But the past few days I've been focusing as much time as possible on studying Brandgasm 101 produced by Ash Ambirge at The Middle Finger Project. (If you haven't see Ash's website, please do so now. It's the most unexpected and irreverent thing I've read in a long time.)

Right now I'm working my way through the copywriting portion of her marketing crash course (there is also a design portion). I started with the intention of getting some ideas for developing my own professional website, so I can finally get something over to Sarah to start building it. The Mo Reads You blog/website has been fine as a place-holder of sorts, but it's time to put on my Big Girl Panties and get a real website.

The course has not disappointed. I'm only on Part 4 (of 7), and I've been exploding with ideas. I have actually blocked out the basic design and navigation (after finally settling on a tone). Now I'm working on the "words" part, which always seems to be the toughest part for me when I work on my own stuff. (The thatcher's roof always leaks, and the cobblers children have no shoes.)

But, Ash is phenomenal at taking folks who know nothing about marketing through specific processes that will yield actual, effective copy. I don't necessarily want to be a copywriter -- I'd rather stick with proofreading and editing -- but the course is helping me gain a better understanding of how words impact the reader. That Ash -- she's one smart cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment