Saturday, June 15, 2013

Editing::Learning the Basics


I decided that proofreading would be a great path for me.  I have a passion for reading and books of all kinds, and I have a knack for spotting errors in published materials.  All that remained was to turn my passion and knack into a small, part-time cottage business. 

First came the “learning” part.  How, exactly, does one become a proofreader?  What, exactly, is involved in the proofreading process?  What, exactly, would a client expect from me as a professional proofreader?

And, where do throngs of people turn when they want to learn about a skill or area of interest?

The Dummies series of books.

Yep, there is actually a reference book called Copyediting & Proofreading for Dummies, and it turned out to be a great place to start.

Helped me decide between proofreading and copyediting.

I ended up deciding to do both.

No comments:

Post a Comment