Saturday, June 8, 2013

Editing::In The Beginning . . .

Several months ago while contemplating the possibility of beginning a small cottage business I could establish and run part-time, I began reading a little book called The $100 Startup: Reinventing the Way You Make a Living, Do What You Love, and Create a New Future by Chris Guillebeau. I didn’t have a clear idea what I would like to “do” for this little business, so was pretty open to options as long as it would not cost much (or anything) to start up. The $100 Startup seemed like a good place to start.

The author wrote this book because he was interested in a business model that most of us may not think about as being “successful”; unconventional but profitable businesses usually run by one person and started with very little up-front investment.  He was particularly interested in the “follow your passion” model, but particularly wanted to study those that translated into a successful business.  He gathered and examined data on these types of business, and The $100 Startup was the result of that research.

So, if I was going to start up a little venture doing what I love, what would I want to do?  What do I love to do?  What do I spend as much time as possible doing?  What do I stay up way too late at night doing?  What am I passionate about?

Books.

Pretty simple.  Create a business in which I get paid to read all day long.

More than that, I’m one of those “picky” readers who gets distracted and annoyed because she finds every little error in a book that she is (supposedly) reading for pleasure.  So, proofreading seemed like a pretty good path for me.

But, I had no idea how to make a living as a proofreader.

Time for some research…

No comments:

Post a Comment