Wednesday, March 3, 2010

We're Back!

We took a couple of weeks "off" to watch the Winter Olympics, and are getting back into routine this week. There were so many sports that we loved watching. The Winter Olympics seems to be full of sports with a high risk of crashes and injury, it really makes watching a compelling thing. Yeah, I have to be perfectly honest and say some of the crashes and wipeouts are part of what makes watching fun and interesting. "WHOA!!! DID YOU SEE THAT?!?" was frequently bellowed during our family viewing time. I think the short track speed skating had to be our overall family favorite. What a pile of chaos that sport is, and Apolo Ohno is a truly classy guy.

Not that it was all TV viewing. I read a great little youth novel called The Graveyard Book by Neil Gayman, recommended to me by Kit. I really enjoyed this book, nicely written, sort of quiet and unassuming, but tantalizing. I'm now reading it aloud to the boys, and they're loving it. And, Brother Bear listened to the audiobook of The Secret Garden by Francis Hodgson Burnett for his Kids Book Club (which met today for discussion and activities). I never read it as a child (or as an adult for that matter), and have been pleasantly surprised at how much I am enjoying it. I've just about decided to give up reading adult classics for awhile, and just read youth classics.

It snowed AGAIN yesterday, the third time this winter. We keep telling the kids it doesn't snow very often in Georgia, but for some reason they don't seem to be believe us. It has snowed every winter since we moved here three years ago.

On Sunday, for the first time, we had to keep T-Bear home from an outing because of low BS. All three boys were invited to go to one of our local indoor aquatic centers (BooBoo calls it the "pool-o-rama") with a neighbor, and Brother and BooBoo went. But, T-Bear woke up very low, and it would have been very bad juju for him to go off with an untrained neighbor for a glucose-burning activity without taking time to stabalize him. Needless to say, there was great upset. But, I made a deal with him; if he did a good job of testing and dosing for the next three days, I would take him to the "pool-o-rama", just me and him. After book club today, we went, and he had a grand time.

We made a committment to join my family's camping reunion in Oregon in July, and Papa Bear dove head-first into plotting out and planning a grand tour of the U.S. National Parks, camping at numerous locales on the way out there and back. It's looking like about a three week excursion, including the time spent camping with my family, and stopping in to see more family on the way through California and Arizona. Everyone is very excited, and we've got great plans to study our National Parks system and other important sites we'll be visiting.

So, that's about all I can remember about the last couple of weeks. I'm sure if I download my camera, I'll remember a few more things. But, I don't feel like doing that right now. I wanna go to bed. Goodnight.

2 comments:

  1. I wondered what in the world the pool o rama was when he told us he was going today.

    I miss the Olympics too but I needed them to end so I could get to sleep a little earlier. Short track is so fun to watch. And I heart (don't know how to make symbols) Apolo Ohno too. Why isn't short track televised any time but the Olympics????

    PS - In going with your youth lit - you need to read Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nihm next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A crisis averted with the pool-o-rama :)

    Your future trip sounds awesome! And isn't planning half the fun some times?

    ReplyDelete