Monday, July 26, 2010

Tour of America - Day Sixteen

We were treated to a lovely pancake breakfast before packing up and attempting to head out. Another electrical glitch which disallowed lowering the roof of the camper. But, Papa Bear figured it out, we got Popper buttoned up, and off we went. Mama Bear drove so Papa could jump onto a conference call at noon. Hauling up and over Teton Pass was no problem for the Sequoia, but dealing with the crazy truckers was another matter. One of the more interesting features of driving through so many states is noticing the difference in “driving style”. I have to say, California is my least favorite style.

I realized at some point that I was having difficulty deciding what to take photos of as we passed through California, because it’s all so familiar to me. I lived most of my life in various parts of California, have seen much of its landscape, and as such, nothing felt “new” to me. So, I tried putting on “new eyes”, seeing things as a first-time visitor might, and taking photos accordingly. Probably with mixed results…

At the top of Teton Pass we saw Diamond Lake (which is much larger that in appears in this picture).

And, not too much further along, we pulled in to Aunt & Uncle L’s place in Agua Dulce. Despite it being the first meeting for most of us, we were immediately made to feel welcome and comfortable. The kids all instantly hit it off with Cousin C, and were in the pool for hours of swimming. Then, off to the stables for a ride on the quad and trailer.

Later that day, Auntie K and family came over, and Uncle T gave all the kids “the ride of your life”, zooming around the sables and corrals and kicking up dust, much to the glee of the kids. And, of course, I had to find at least one flower to photograph.


A nice dinner, lots of visiting, and then off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment