Monday, May 18, 2009

A Good Day

Yesterday was a good day for T-Bear. His glucose stayed under 300 (yay!), he was feeling good, and he handled his pokes very well. I pushed water on him all day to flush out extra glucose, helped him set up a couple of exercise games on the Wii for some activity (it was raining most of the day here), and he spent most of his free time playing some of his favorite Wii games.


My biggest challenge has been meal planning. I know he can have a small pancake for breakfast, but exactly how small? "Kitchen math" took on a whole new meaning for me as I tried to figure out how many carbs in each ingredient, and how much batter came out to one serving. I know this will get easier as I accummulate a mental directory of foods and their respective carb count, but for right now, careful planning is in order.

My other challenge has been getting meals and snacks served up and eaten in a timely manner. It's taking me longer to put a meal together, with all the counting and measuring, so meals have been getting tardier and tardier. T-Bear has to wait at least 2 hours after eating his snack before I can do a glucose test, or the test will read high. So meals have ended up being pushed back. We ended up eating dinner at 9:00 last night, which means T-Bear and I had to be up until 11:00 pm for his last test and snack. I'm determined to do better today.

So, off to start breakfast....

1 comment:

  1. It will take a little trial and error. I remember trying to calculate the carbs in a pasta dish I made and it is so tough. Good luck with your little pancake for breakfast! See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete